Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Letting me down gently

I have gotten some great rejections lately---- rejections, great or not, are a writer's first experience, and until you are at the level of Steven King or Robert B. Parker you are just going to have them as a part of your everyday world.

But the last three or four in a row have had a much different tone than I am used to. The one I got today made me laugh out loud:

Hi. I really enjoyed your story. If only we'd gotten a dozen more this good. But we didn't. As a result, Lodestone has been put on hold. Sorry to have kept you waiting. I hoped to get some good submissions between now and when you submitted, but didn't.

Drew


True or not, this is almost at the level of the apochryphal rejection from a Japanese magazine where the editor declined because printing it would be so close to the ultimate expression on the topic that printing any other story after would be unnecesary.

No comments: